Saturday 26 May 2012

To nose or not to nose?

Well, the summer is finally here, and in a fit of efficiency I decided to go through my notebooks in search of inspiration for short story ideas.

It was a double groan moment when I realised the extent of my scribbling. After half an hour spent pulling out my hair and cursing, I decidedthat the only thingto do was to go through all my notebooks and try and sort through them. And what a good thing it turned out to be.

Not only do i now have a few ideas rolling around in my head, I also have a new system that should (hopefully) save time.

I now have general notebooks that I carry around with me. However, at the end of the day I transfer my notes to 3 other specific notebooks - novel ideas, short story ideas, and another for titles, characters and snippets of dialogue and narrative I could use.

Of course, this is open to change and I'm curious as to how you guys sort through your own notes. More importantly, where do you get your inspiration? Ideas tend to come to me at the most inopportune of moments (like in the bath, or at 2 in the morning)!

There are times when I seek out inspiration. Occasionally, I like to take a trip on the bus so that I can look at the people and listen to their conversations. Does that count as nosiness or enterprising? Curious thing being a writer. Still, if I was ever found out, I don't think I could get away with "I'm sorry, I'm not nosy, just a writer."
Or could I?

No comments:

Post a Comment