Sunday 4 August 2013

Sci Fi Snippet -

Those of you who follow me will recall that in my last blog post I mentioned that I had decided to have a go at writing some science fiction. At the moment I have written two short stories and have made plans to write two full length novels.

The first full length novel that I am going to try is based on the first short story I put down. There are still a lot of details to work out. However, I have decided to share a little snippet with you. It is proving to be a challenge, but an enjoyable one.

As I said before, romance and erotic fiction will always remain my first love but, with recent events, romance isn't top of my list of things to drown in.

It's been a very bad start to the year. 2013 is living up to it's number. The optimistic amongst you will no doubt say that it can only get better. Once you hit the bottom the only way is up. Hmm, I'm not sure, but I am putting on my water wings and starting to try and swim to the surface.

I had made plans to publish the first of an erotic anthology this year. That plan is on hold for the time being. For now, I am losing myself in aliens, spaceships, transmutation & Earth's survival.

I hope you enjoy the snippet below. Feel free to let me know your thoughts.  It is still a work in progress. The story is called "The Enforcers" and is set 200 years in the future, following the story of James & his quest to find the truth after Earth has signed a deal with the Quent'ari race to save Earth from destruction....


            It happened in the night.
            Didn't it always? Bad things always happened in films after dark. Successful revolutions happened whilst the world slept. So it shouldn't have been a surprise that the deal had been struck in the twilight hours after hours of negotiation.
            The so-called experts had been preaching that the end was nigh for years. They had averted a catastrophe and saved the world with their deal.
            James shook his head and looked up at the sky.
            The dreary gunmetal hue almost matched that of the ship hovering above him.
            "Fucking aliens!"
            Two centuries had passed since the deal. Two hundred years since the earth's resources had been so depleted that the politicians, the traitors, had begged for help. Who could have known back then that transmitting a desperate plea for help across the infinite void of space would result in our first contact with aliens?
            That it would come to this.
            The drone of another ship overhead interrupted his thoughts. He cursed again,  grimacing at the short, sharp zap of electricity in his head that reminded him that they knew what he was thinking.
            He set off walking again, purposefully ignoring the curious glances of the other unfortunates. Everyone knew what the punishment would be if you committed treason.
            First they zapped your nerves with a warning, nothing more than a buzzing reminder. If you continued to "misbehave" they whisked you away and fried a few more of your grey cells. After that, well, you simply disappeared....

No comments:

Post a Comment