Saturday 1 September 2012

Iron determination


 Well, it's been a good week on the writing front. I posted some competition entries and also made a start on the final edit of my latest romance novel. I am about half way and am pleased with it so far.

Other things have been pretty stressful. My dad was taken poorly and I managed to make him see a doctor. This is no mean feat when he hasn't made contact with a doctor in over thirty years. He is slowly on the mend now, but the bad chest infection really scared us all.

So I didn't feel too guilty taking a day off yesterday and visiting a "Stars, Cars & Superheroes" Exhibition at a local venue. There were lots of fantastic exhibits from Dr Who, Star Wars, Batman, Knight Rider, and many many more. As you can see, I had a wee encounter with Iron Man. Now I know that he isn't real, it's a man in a suit, but he's my favourite Marvel Hero. However, I wasn't expecting him to turn round and face me like that. His 7ft to my 5ft 3'' was quite scary.

And this brings me nicely round to writing...

As you can see, the title of this post is "iron determination". I just wanted to ask, how much determination do you have to succeed? To write?

I recently read an article that advised that if you are having a bad day and the words and ideas just aren't flowing, then you should step away from your work and do something else.Of course, this goes against the other, more common, belief that you should just push on. After all, you can't edit a blank page.

Which view do you subscribe to? Personally, I tend to believe that it could be both.

Take today, for example. I have woken up with a really bad head and feeling quite nauseous. Do I force myself into my study and work on my manuscript, or do I take the day off in the hope that I will feel better tomorrow and I will probably produce better work? Of course, if I had woken up and was just feeling lazy, then perhaps I would tell myself to get in my study and work. See how both points of view can be applied at different times?

It is a quandary all writers face at some point and, it has to be said, it is a vicious circle. Let me know your thoughts on it. Ultimately, a writer's dream is to produce a good piece of fiction that people can read and enjoy, and earn some money of course. But we give ourselves a hard time trying to achieve it.

And on that note, I think I might just have to pop a couple of pills, snuggle up on the sofa and have a lazy Sunday. My Dark Side is calling.


TTFN







No comments:

Post a Comment