Saturday 2 June 2012

Jubilee Jottings

Well, Happy Diamond Jubilee to Her majesty, and to your good selves.

As someone with a Degree in History and who thrives on it, I think it's great that Britain has enjoyed such stability. Whatever your views on the Monarchy, you can't deny that. And that brings me onto a related subject...

Longevity and perseverance.

It has been said, can't remember who by (if you do, maybe you could let me know), that a successful writer is one who hasn't given up. The failed writer is one who didn't know how close to success he was.

So, how do you keep going when the rejection letters or the inspiration isn't there? You will have to let me know. Do you feel guilty if you spend the day lolling on the sofa with a glass of wine, nibbles and a good film? Or do you consider it "research" or resting the brain whilst your sub conscious still merrily ticks over?

I have been scribbling ever since I was a little girl and I have never, ever, thought about giving up. It's not about fame. It isn't even about money. It's just the pure, unadulterated thrill I get whenver I put pen to paper (yep, all my first drafts are done long hand), or fingers to keys.

Yes, there are days, weeks even, when I don't seem to be getting much done. There are even times when I rant and rave and bemoan the Fates like a mad writer possessed. But, bottom line, how could I ever give up something that gives me so much joy?

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment